6.06.2008

Flat-back binding


Well, here is my second creation from my bookbinding class, a flat-back book. This is pretty much what I think everyone imagines when they picture a book in their mind, and maybe my favorite binding so far. It just looks so clean and crisp. The cover is made of book-clothe on the spine and an old map from the library on campus.
Here is a few details of the inside (or what I could show you and still come up with an interesting picture). For those of you who know me, you shouldn't be surprised to see the totally sweet orange end-sheets that I added as a contrasting color to the cover and block of paper. Love orange. Also, here is a detail of my hand-sewn end-band that is on both the top and bottom of the spine. These were originally only found on the tops of spines to protect the pages when the book was grabbed off of a shelf. (Imagine with me now how you pull a book off of a shelf: usually, you put your finger on the top of the spine to pull it off right? well, that's what these are for.) If you check any books you have at home you may have some that have end-bands, but they are probably not really sewn into the book, and just to look pretty. If you find one that is hand-sewn I would love to hear what the book is!

5 comments:

Jeanna said...

You must be having so much fun in that class. I never would have even known that byu offers that kind of class, let alone taught you such sweet skills.

I love orange too, by the way, and your book looks pretty nice!

mom/Janet said...

Good work Bridget. They actually have classes that teach this things. Gee, now you can bind your own books and then illustrate them also. So fun.

Joanne Woods said...

beautiful. how did you do it?

Leslie and Alan said...

Bridget, I love seeing and handling your beautiful books.

Michelle said...

Bridget that binding is gorgeous! Nice work. I'm so glad you decided to come in today and we got to talk blog talk. :)

michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...